New/Renewal Online Process
How can one apply for new/renewal of passport online?
- Step 1: First register through Passport Seva Portal and create a user ID by Clicking here.
- Step 2: Login to Passport Seva Portal with the user ID created in step 1 by Clicking here.
- Step 3: After login, click on 'Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport' link.
- Step 4: Fill the required details in the form over the internet and submit. Note the application number.
- Step 5: After login, click 'Manage Appointment' on 'Applicant Home Page' to schedule an appointment at a Passport Seva Kendra(PSK) by Clicking here. If no appointment available, try again at specified time.
- Step 6: After scheduling an appointment to visit PSK, if you cannot visit on scheduled appointment date and time, then cancel/reschedule the appointment so that other applicants can utilise that time slot.
- Step 7: Click 'Print Application Receipt' link to print the application receipt containing Application Reference Number(ARN)/Appointment Number by Clicking here.
- Step 8: On the day of appointment, visit the Passport Seva Kendra along with original documents. To check list of documents that you need to take, check 'Document Advisor' link on the site by Clicking here.
Processing Fee, Time, Delivery
What is the processing fee and time to make a passport? How will it be delivered?
- Check processing fee by Clicking here.
- It takes approximately a month to get the passport from the date of application.
- Department ensures delivery of passport to the address mentioned in the application form.
Is there any TATKAL scheme for getting a passport quicker than normal process?
- Yes, there is a TATKAL scheme to get a passport. Click here for information and TATKAL fee details.
- You can apply for new/renewal of passport by following steps mentioned in point 1 above.
How do I check the status of my passport?
- To track your passport status online: Click here.
What to do if my passport is lost or damaged?
- In case of loss of passport, lodge an FIR in the nearest police station.
- Apply for duplicate passport by following steps in point 1 above for a 'Reissue' of passport.
- Lost during travel abroad: Contact the Indian embassy in that country who will issue an 'Emergency Certificate' using which you can return to India. Upon return, apply for 'Reissue' of passport.
- Duplicate passport is made within 1 or 2 months from date of application.
- Department ensures delivery of the passport to the address mentioned in application form.
Does a minor need a separate passport or is the name included in parent's passport?
- A minor needs to have a separate passport.
- Follow the steps mentioned in point 1 above to file for new/renewal of passport.
How do I change my name/address in the passport?
- Change of name in passport can be in normal scenarios, after marriage or divorce.
- Approach the nearest Regional Passport Office and submit the following documents:
a) Application in Form 2.
b) Surrender original passport and proof of residence along with 2 photocopies.
- For Normal Change in Name, also submit:
a) Affidavit in format of Annexure E.
b) Newspaper cuttings for proof of change in name.
- For Change in Name after marriage, also submit:
a) Affidavit in format of Annexure D.
b) 2 copies of Marriage Certificate.
- For change in address, also submit 2 copies of new address proof.
- Department will deliver new passport within 1 month from date of application by speed post.
Where/whom should I contact to file a complaint?
- For any complaint or suggestion, contact your Regional Passport Officer, Chief Passport Officer or the Public Transport Officer.
- Click here for contact details.
Do I require a passport for every country?
- Except for Nepal, you require a passport for travelling to all other countries.
Can I have more than one passport?
- No. Possessing multiple passports is illegal and punishable by law.