Taxes: Income Tax Return Filing Deadline And Steps
Please note that some links/details below are prone to changes at the discretion of the Indian central government or service providers as applicable.
Return Filing Deadline: What is the last date for filing individual Income Tax Return?
For financial year 2012-13, last date for filing income tax return in India is 31st July 2013.
Who needs to file?
What are the income tax slabs? Who is required to file an Income Tax Return?
Income Tax Rate Slabs: Anyone whose income falls within taxable bracket is required to file an IT Return:
(1) Upto Rs. 2 lakh, tax is 0%.
(2) Rs. 2+ to Rs. 5 lakh, tax is 10.3% minus Rs. 2000.
(3) Rs. 5+ lakh to Rs. 10 lakh, tax is 20.6%.
(4) Rs. 10+ lakh, tax is 30.9%.
(5) Rs. 1+ crore, tax: 33.99%.
Tax Exemption Limits:
(1) Resident individuals(men/women) with income up to Rs. 200,000(2 lakh) do not pay any income tax.
(2) For senior citizens (60+ years): 2.5 lakhs.
(3) For very senior citizens (above 80 years): 5 lakhs.
(1) No need to file return if income upto Rs. 5 lakh and tax deducted at source.
(2) A tax credit of Rs 2,000/- is available if the gross total income does not exceed Rs 5 lakhs.
(3) For details on 'Tax Saving Deductions and Investment Options':Click here
Can I talk to someone who can help me in tax filing?
1) Yes. You may call 1800-425-2229 (Toll free) between 9 AM - 8 PM on all working days.
2) To assist taxpayers, a call center was set up where agents provide information/updates on the following:
a) Status of receipt of ITR-V.
b) Processing status of e-filed returns.
c) Refund issues.
d) Rectification status.
Online tax filing ways
What are the ways of filing Income Tax Return online?
There are 3 ways for filing Income Tax Returns online:
1) With Digital Signature: In this case, no paper return is required to be submitted.
2) Without Digital Signature: In this case, ITR-V (single page) form is to be filed with the department.
3) Through an intermediary: An agent who would do e-filing & also assist in filing the ITR-V Form.
Tax filing steps
What are the steps for filing taxes?
1) Visit the government income tax filing site by Clicking here
2) Login by entering your User ID and Password by Clicking here
3) If new user, then register by clicking on "Register Now".
4) Login and select "My Account".
5) Go to "My Returns".
6) Select the assessment year(A.Y.) for which you want to download ITR-V form.
7) Click "Submit", then click on "Click here" button on the screen.
8) The ITR-V form will be available for download. Save it on your computer.
9) "Print" to generate printout of acknowledgement/ITR-V Form.
10) If the return is digitally signed on generation of "Acknowledgement",
- then Return filing process is completed.
- You may take a printout of the Acknowledgement for your record.
11) If the return is NOT digitally signed, then take a printout and mail to Income Tax Department – CPC,
Post Bag No-1, Electronic City Post Office,
Bangalore-560100, Karnataka. By Ordinary Post or Speedpost only within 120 days of filing electronically.
- This completes the Return filing process for non-digitally signed IT returns.
How can I view the tax refund status?
1) To check the status of your refund, Click here.
2) Enter PAN and Assessment Year and click ‘Submit’.
3) View refund status. If the status is-
a) Dispatched by speed post- track speed post by clicking on Speed Post Ref. no: starting with EY…'.
b) Mode of Payment is ECS- check your Bank Account for Direct Deposit.