All care & extensive research was done for this information but please note that any decision must be made in consultation with a doctor
Pregnancy classes/ education
Pregnancy education helps to avoid painful cesarean deliveries:
1) Normal Delivery: Momentary pain 'during' labor & recovery from 'normal/vaginal' delivery takes about 3 to 7 days.
2) Cesarean Delivery: No pain during labor but abdominal pains last about 3 to 4 weeks and recovery time is longer.
3) Pregnancy education helps in getting more relaxed and comfortable. Read good books on delivery.
4) Attend pregnancy classes like Lamaze or from other certified professionals.
5) Talk to people/doctor who have gone through this stage and clear all your doubts.
6) For precautions and diet during pregnancy... Click here
Right doctor/ hospital
Find the right doctor and hospital carefully:
1) Ask for feedback. Go for a doctor whose yearly cesarean rate in practice is less than 20%.
2) Its important to 'feel' comfortable with your doctor so that you have a good delivery on time.
3) Let your doctor know of your intention to have normal pregnancy before the pain starts.
4) If you doctor says you need a Cesarean, ask questions to clear your doubts.
5) If Cesarean is suggested due to medical reasons, do not negotiate during emergency situations.
Pregnancy before age 30
Plan your pregnancy before 30:
1) Older mothers are at higher pregnancy risks.
2) There is a gradual decrease in fertility after the age of 30.
3) Experts suggest 20 to 29 as the correct age for pregnancy.
4) Avoid late marriage & pregnancy to avoid unnecessary complications.
Take care of yourself and focus on balanced diet during pregnancy tenure:
1) Add more proteins, carbohydrate and vitamins in your daily intake.
2) Take appropriate amount of salt and include fish, cereals, milk and fruits.
3) Avoid too much fat in food, to avoid the possibility of the baby gaining more weight in the womb.
4) Exercise to strengthen the pelvic muscles so that there are more chances of vaginal/normal delivery.
5) Ayurveda: Offers some things which you may follow to increase the chances of normal delivery...
a) When you start feeling labor pains, have couple spoons of honey.
b) Some experts recommend drinking milk boiled with garlic paste from seventh month daily.
c) Boil roasted anise seed (choti saunf) in water & drink it from ninth month.
Get enough support
Get enough support during tenure of pregnancy and for labor / delivery:
1) Support and encouragement from your loved ones is necessary and comforting.
2) Place: During pregnancy, be at a place where 'you' like to be
3) People: Spend most of the pregnancy time with people who make you comfortable/happy.
4) Do things you like doing. Pregnancy can be a wonderful experience if you handle it effectively.
Avoid Inducing labor
Avoid unnatural labor induction:
1) Induction is a process by which labour is induced artificially in the mother. Some experts feel that
40 to 50% C-sections could have been avoided by having a normal vaginal delivery.
2) Do not perform induction for simple reasons like, your husband will not be in town on the due date.
3) Avoid induction unless your doctor suggests it for medical reasons. Let nature take its own course.
In the labor room
Preparing for time of delivery in the labor room:
1) Prepare yourself to cope with the natural pain during pregnancy. Think how you can reduce your anxiety.
2) Its simple to say, but try your best tojust relax. Some soft music in the delivery room should help.
3) Position: Prefer positions that utilize gravity. Sometimes, changing the position makes a huge difference.
Listen to your doctor when they advise you better labor positions.
4) Follow breathing techniques as learnt in pregnancy classes. Keep your jawbones lose to keep your cervix open.
5) Relax during contraction. Attending pregnancy classes during the pregnancy stage will help you deal with this.