Mobile number portability questions answered. Please note that some details may change anytime at the discretion of service providers.
What is MNP?
What is Mobile Number Portability (MNP)?
* With MNP, you can change the service operator without changing your current mobile number.
* This will trigger a healthy competition among service providers which would benefit the consumers.
* Customers can port between prepay and post pay options.
* Shifting is allowed only for a mobile number, not for a landline number.
Why choose MNP?
Why should I go for MNP?
* Go for MNP if you are not happy with the services of your current provider or for getting cheaper/better plans.
Steps to switch?
How can I switch to a new service provider? What are the steps?
Here are the detailed steps to avail the MNP service:
1. SMS: Send SMS 'PORT <10 digit mobile number>' to 1900 from the mobile number you want to switch.
2. Code: You will immediately get a UPC (Unique Porting Code) by SMS from your current service provider.
3. New Provider/SIM: Go to nearest new service provider's centre, submit the following and get a new SIM:
- An 'application form' quoting the UPC code to desired new service provider.
- Valid address and identity proof.
- One passport size photo may be required by some providers.
4. Fee: You will have to pay a maximum of Rs. 19 to the new operator as Porting charges.
(Note: New operator may waive off the MNP fee or reduce it).
5. By When: The entire process will take maximum 7 days as per timelines set by the regulatory authority.
6. Switch: You will get a message on your mobile number on the exact time & date of switching. Replace
your current SIM card with the new one from your new service provider at that time & you are all set.
Billing / Talktime impact?
What is the impact on billing/talktime?
* Post-paid users: You need to clear all dues before applying for MNP.
* Prepaid users: You will lose any remaining talk time after switching.
Any down time?
Will the service be down during the MNPprocess?
* Your number will be functional throughout this process.
* The switchover will happen between 10:00 PM and 05:00 AM to ensure your connectivity is not disrupted.
* There may be a 2 hour duration between 10:00 PM to 05:00 AM when your services may be disrupted.
* The exact time of disruption would be communicated to you in advance.
Do I need to cancel my old account with my current service provider?
* No! The new service provider will take care of that.
CDMA to GSM?
I have a CDMA phone, can I switch to a GSM service operator?
* Yes, but you will need a GSM compatible handset.
SIM card replaced?
Do I need to replace the SIM card?
* Yes. Replace your current SIM card with the new one from your new service provider as explained above.
I initiated the MNP request but can I cancel it now?
* After initiating the MNP request, it can be cancelled within 24 hours.
Shift new number?
I just got a new connection? Can I go for MNP now?
* A user can switch after 90 days of a new connection being activated.
Where is the MNP service available in India?
* MNP is being gradually rolled out in various states of India.
* Cross check with your service provider about availability in your state.
Explore some other "Internet and Mobile Phones" results below