Mobile phone got wet? If you react quickly following the steps mentioned below, you might be able to save your phone. Most phone's warranty do not cover water damage.
Step 1:Must avoid most common mistakes
1) Most common mistake: Don't try to switch on/off phone to see if its working or not as that may cause a short circuit.
2) Avoid heat exposure: Don't expose the phone to direct sunlight as most phones get damaged due to excessive heat.
3) Avoid: Must not use microwave to dry phone.
Step 2: RemoveBattery
1) Remove battery immediately. For iPhones/smartphones... skip to step 4.
2) Check liquid damage sticker near battery: If a white square/circle turns reddish in color, it indicates water damage.
Step 3: SIM
1) If you have a GSM phone, remove SIM card. You should be able to retrieve most of your contacts stored on the SIM
as SIM cards usually survive water damage.
2) If having CDMA phone, skip to next step.
Step 4: Drying
1) Wipe the water gently using a paper or soft towel.
2) You may use vacuum hose about 3 inches away from your phone for drying.
3) If your phone gets soaked in salted/sea water, wash the entire phone gently with fresh distilled (not tap) water first
and then dry it off.
4) You may use alcohol to clean/disinfect the external phone area. Do not use alcohol inside the phone as it usually
damages the sensitive circuitry.
Step 5: Remove Moisture
1) Make it moisture free: Remove the phone cover and put the phone completely in a bag of uncooked dry rice or
'desiccant gel packs' for about 10 hours as rice would absorb any remaining moisture. Do not charge the
device during this time.
2) For Apple iPhone video demo:Click here
3) For serious water damage, leave the phone for at least 24 hours and do not try to switch it on before that.
Step 6: Test Phone
1) See if its fully dry without any water droplets/moisture. Insert the battery back and turn it ON.
2) If it works, great...congratulations. If not, take out the battery & plug in charger. If this works, you need a new battery.
3) If it still does not, take it to an authorized service dealer but chances of it coming alive are slim.