House alarm system:
1. Not everyone chooses an Alarm system but you may consider this option also.
2. They are expensive relative to other security gadgets but if you want to install one, choose a
system with a separate control panel and key pad.
3. This security system gives an alarming signal if there is an entry in your house through
windows or balconies.
Approximate Cost: Rs. 9000 - Rs. 12000
Vendors: Click here for Godrej or Click here for Home security
|2||Fingerprint door lock|
Fingerprint door lock for better security:
1. It is a device which evaluates physical traits for recognition purposes.
2. It captures the image of your finger & makes it the password to unlock the door.
3. It eliminates the complex work of locking or unlocking a door every time you go out.
4. You can easily add and remove users, depending on need, to enter your house.
5. No two people have same fingerprint therefore beating this security system is difficult.
Approximate Cost: Rs. 4000 - Rs. 8000
Vendors: Click here for Nestwell or Click here for Enjoy Technology
Peephole camera on all the entrance doors:
1. Must have for every front door as it provides view of who is standing outside the door.
2. Outside activities can be easily viewed without alerting the visitor.
3. Peephole is usually made up of wide angle lens that allows a wider view.
Approximate Cost: Rs. 50 - Rs. 200
Security camera for sensitive areas / total houcoverage:
1. Device used for recording surroundings or watching live movement around an area.
2. Has a record option which records things going around your house when you are away.
3. In case of any robbery or theft it provides proof to conclude who, when & how it happened.
4. If cost is an issue, you can install dummy/fake 360 camera that will act as a fake camera to
scare the intruders.
Approximate Cost: Rs. 500 - Rs. 3000
Vendors: Click here for Digitals or Click here for Godrej
|5||Ultraviolet security pen|
Ultraviolet security marker pen:
1. It uses invisible ink to write & once dry, the written content is not visible to anybody unless
viewed under ultraviolet light.
2. Used to write your name on valuable items like TV, laptop, DVD's etc.
3. Such identification markings help to get back stolen valuable items if recovered.
4. The ink on the pen may fade over a time period, so keep a check & rewrite name on items
Approximate Cost: Rs. 250 - Rs. 400
Vendors: Locating vendors in local markets is difficult. However, internet is a good source.
Garage security precautions:
1. If you have a garage, use electronic garage door openers as they are difficult to open.
2. Examine your garage doors periodically for damage corners and weak spots.
3. Don't ever leave the garage door open as it acts as an open invitation for the intruders.
|7||Apartment precautions|| |
Precautions for apartments:
1. Always have one emergency contact number of the care taker or guard room.
2. Make sure that your intercom is working at all times so that you can use it to alert in case an
3. If you stay alone, do not disclose this fact or your details to any unknown person in the society.
4. Always keep balconies and windows locked- specially if you live on the ground, 1st or 2nd floor.
|8||Dog sign|| |
Dog at home or just a 'dog sign' at the gate:
1. If you don't have a dog, even then you may put 'Beware of Dog' sign outside your house.
2. Just a sign on the gate restricts burglars & makes them think twice before they enter.
3. Dogs that are just cute pets may not be the right ones for guarding a house. Doberman &
German Shepherds are considered good from security perspective.
4. Most modern dogs act naturally as guardians however many dog breeds have been trained
to guard & defend people they consider as having under their custody.
|9||Balconies and windows|| |
Secure your windows, balconies and doors:
1. Cover your windows with steel/aluminium grills to protect window break-ins.
2. Keep expensive items (flat screen TV, antiques) out of sight from roadside passerby people.
3. Front Entrance Door: Have strong (solid hardwood or metal) door as even the most efficient
lock in a weak door will not secure your house.
4. Add sliding glass door locks.
5. Install locks on MCB box or fuse box as burglers sometimes switch off the mains/electricity.
6. Don't hide keys outside your home under footmat. Give keys to trusted person only.
|10||Vacant house precautions|| |
Vacant house precautions when you are away on holiday/work:
1. Never talk to a stranger about leaving your home for holidays.
2. Cancel delivery of newspapers & milk as they indicate you are out for vacation.
3. Know your neighbours well & tell them when you are on a trip so that they can keep an eye.
4. Keep aluminium rod/wooden stick in track of sliding doors to prevent opening from outside.
5. Do not put your home address on your luggage when you are travelling as this may tell your
home details to thieves or scrupulous cab drivers.
6. Keep your yard clean and trim the plants/trees, as they may become the hiding place for thief.
7. Don't leave your ladder outside your home.
8. Secure your valuables in a safe & place them at odd, no so obvious but secured places.
9. Turn your phones off or minimize its ring volume.
10. To the external world, make it look like as if you are at home by installing timer lights.
Also check 'Home checklist before leaving' by Clicking here