House alarm system:
- Not everyone chooses an Alarm system but you may consider this option also.
- They are expensive relative to other security gadgets but if you want to install one, choose a system with a separate control panel and key pad.
- This security system gives an alarming signal if there is an entry in your house through windows or balconies.
- Approximate Cost: Rs. 9000 - Rs. 12000
- Vendors: Click here for Godrej or Click here for Home security
Fingerprint door lock for better security:
- It is a device which evaluates physical traits for recognition purposes.
- It captures the image of your finger & makes it the password to unlock the door.
- It eliminates the complex work of locking or unlocking a door every time you go out.
- You can easily add and remove users, depending on need, to enter your house.
- No two people have same fingerprint therefore beating this security system is difficult.
- Approximate Cost: Rs. 4000 - Rs. 8000
- Vendors: Click here for Nestwell or Click here for Enjoy Technology
Peephole camera on all the entrance doors:
- Must have for every front door as it provides view of who is standing outside the door.
- Outside activities can be easily viewed without alerting the visitor.
- Peephole is usually made up of wide angle lens that allows a wider view.
- Approximate Cost: Rs. 50 - Rs. 200
Security camera for sensitive areas / total housecoverage:
- Device used for recording surroundings or watching live movement around an area.
- Has a record option which records things going around your house when you are away.
- In case of any robbery or theft it provides proof to conclude who, when & how it happened.
- If cost is an issue, you can install dummy/fake 360 camera that will act as a fake camera to scare the intruders.
- Approximate Cost: Rs. 6000 - Rs. 15000
- Vendors: Click here for Digitals or Click here for Godrej
Ultraviolet security marker pen:
- Used to write your name on valuable items like TV, laptop, DVD's etc.
- It uses invisible ink to write. Once dry, the written text is not visible to anyone unless viewed under ultraviolet light.
- Such identification markings help to get back stolen valuable items if recovered.
- The ink on the pen may fade over a time period, so keep a check & rewrite name on items whenever required.
- Approximate Cost: Rs. 250 - Rs. 400
- Vendors: Locating vendors in local markets is difficult. However, internet is a good source.
Garage security precautions:
- If you have a garage, use electronic garage door openers as they are difficult to open.
- Examine your garage doors periodically for damage corners and weak spots.
- Don't ever leave the garage door open as it acts as an open invitation for the intruders.
Precautions for apartments:
- Always have one emergency contact number of the care taker or guard room.
- Make sure that your intercom is working at all times so that you can use it to alert in case an intruder comes.
- If you stay alone, do not disclose this fact or your details to any unknown person in the society.
- Always keep balconies and windows locked- specially if you live on the ground, 1st or 2nd floor.
Dog at home or just a 'dog sign' at the gate:
- If you don't have a dog, even then you may put 'Beware of Dog' sign outside your house.
- Just a sign on the gate restricts burglars & makes them think twice before they enter.
- Dogs that are just cute pets may not be the right ones for guarding a house. Doberman & German Shepherds are considered good from security perspective.
- Most modern dogs act naturally as guardians however many dog breeds have been trained to guard & defend people they consider as having under their custody.
Secure your windows, balconies and doors:
- Cover your windows with steel/aluminium grills to protect window break-ins.
- Keep expensive items (flat screen TV, antiques) out of sight from roadside passerby people.
- Front Entrance Door: Have strong (solid hardwood or metal) door as even the most efficient lock in a weak door will not secure your house.
- Add sliding glass door locks.
- Install locks on MCB box or fuse box as burglers sometimes switch off the mains/electricity.
- Don't hide keys outside your home under footmat. Give keys to trusted person only.
Vacant house precautions when you are away on holiday/work:
- Never talk to a stranger about leaving your home for holidays.
- Cancel delivery of newspapers & milk as they indicate you are out for vacation.
- Know your neighbours well & tell them when you are on a trip so that they can keep an eye.
- Keep aluminium rod/wooden stick in track of sliding doors to prevent opening from outside.
- Do not put your home address on your luggage when you are travelling as this may tell your home details to thieves or scrupulous cab drivers.
- Keep your yard clean and trim the plants/trees, as they may become the hiding place for thief.
- Don't leave your ladder outside your home.
- Secure your valuables in a safe & place them at odd, no so obvious but secured places.
- Turn your phones off or minimize its ring volume.
- To the external world, make it look like as if you are at home by installing timer lights.
- Also check 'Home checklist before leaving' by Clicking here