Paint guidelines, tips and links that will help you create a great home setup. Note that Indian vendors mentioned below are listed in random order.
Choosing paint quality
Choosing paint quality: Distemper or Synthetic?
1) On one end, distemper paints are cheapest, not washable & look good/clean for about 2 to 3 years. 2) At other end, rich/synthetic paints are expensive, washable & look fantastic for about 5 to 7 years. 3) High gloss paints are washable but they highlight surface irregularities. Do ensure the surface is
scrubbed well and smoothly evened by using proper primer/putty before applying paint. Matte
finish synthetic paints work best in the long run. 4) 3 layers/coats of cheaper paints are usually equivalent to 1 coat of expensive paint. Moreover,
paint brush marks are also visible when cheaper paints are used. So even if cost is a constraint,
choose the paint judiciously by opting for at least medium quality synthetic paint as it will last long.
Choosing paint color
Choosing paint: Explore colors and shades
1) Never choose a paint color in an empty room or at paint shop. Compare color shades by also looking
at the furniture fabric/wall hanging frames color before finalizing wall colors. 2) You can explore good color shades by clicking either of the following links: i) Click here ii)Click here 3) If you don't get much sunlight, choose lighter colors to ensure room looks bright. Choose colors
wisely as they convey a lot about your personality and interests. 4) Many companies offer 'test cans' now. Invest in testing few colors will help in finalizing colors fast.
Avoid too dark colors where you spend most of your time. Shades of Blue & Green are the most
soothing colors... also known to help reduce stress.
Calculate paint area
Calculate paint area:
1) Save your time and money by calculating the right paint area by Clicking here 2) Just input the walls, doors and windows dimensions in feet and press the calculate button.
Paint Tips and Precautions
Painting Tips and precautions:
1) Don't forget to do the taping around all your floor moldings, mirrors, paintings, windows to minimize
the huge cleaning effort after paint job is over. 2) Get uniformity in color: Since cans are prepared using color mixers, there may be a slight difference
in different cans of same color. Mix several paint cans in a large bucket to get a consistent color. 3) Ceiling: Do not choose a dark color for ceiling as it will make the room look small. White is most
popular as it makes the room look high/big. If you don't prefer white on ceiling, another option is to
add a few drops of your wall color to can of ceiling paint & get a soft version of wall color on ceiling. 4) More than half the time should be spent in 'preparing' the walls. Ensure walls are dusted well with
a broom or vacuum cleaner before a paint coat is applied to avoid any peeling of paint in future. 5) Make sure that the painter start painting rooms from the top/ceiling and work their way down. 6) Do not ignore the exterior facade. Having a great interior paint but bad/dirty exterior is not good.
Choose colors that coordinate with buildings around you and a good quality paint that will protect
your house from sunlight and help bring the hot temperature down inside your house. 7) Autumn is the best season to paint. Avoid rainy season as the excessive humidity & not fully dried
primer usually causes the paint to bubble/peel later.
Cost range for interior walls
Painting cost for interior walls:
1) Not counting extreme price options, paint cost in India from a good vendor varies from approximately
Rs. 11 per sq/ft to Rs. 18 per square feet, depending upon the brand and quality of paint chosen. 2) Good quality paint options by authorized vendors are available for around Rs. 15 per square feet. 3) You are advised to call at least 2 authorized vendors listed below to get best price quotes.