|1|| || |
Step 1: Set 2 targets for yourself.
- First step is to set 2 realistic and achievable targets- one for weight and other for waistline.
- Set a monthly reduction target of approx 1 kg and half cm depending upon how overweight you are.
- You set your own targets. Do not get pressurised by anyone. Example: Over 1 year, one may set 6 kg (weight) and 6 cm (waistline) as good, reasonable and sustainable reduction targets.
- Have a positive mindset. 'Believe' that you can and will reduce your waistline and weight.
|2|| || |
Step 2: Take Lemon Honey water regularly and see the change!
- Take a glass of warm/hot water. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon and 1 teaspoon honey. Stir well.
- Drink this lemon-honey water every morning on an empty stomach.
- During day, you may also take coconut water and green/lemon tea. For more proven home remedies: Click here
|3|| || |
Step 3: Brisk walk or exercise is a must.
- 45 min exercise (10 min warm up, 30 min exercise, 5 min cool down). Do more on weekends.
- Target walking/jogging/exercise 6 days a week.
- During walks, don't have any side/domestic conversations and take frequent deep breadths.
- Ensure you are not just doing casual walk for 45 min but do brisk walking and sweat well.
|4|| || |
Step 4: Breakfast and not so heavy meals.
- Breakfast: Never avoid breakfast. Prefer a good breakfast with lighter meals during day.
- Meals: Have 4 small meals instead of heavy lunch/dinner.
- Drink a large glass of normal (not chilled) water about 30 min before meals.
- Focus more on raw vegetables, salads and fruits. Reduce salt intake.
- Avoid rice, potato, icecream, chocolates, sweets, butter, junk/fried food and white bread. If you have a strong urge, take only a small quantity just once a week.
|5|| || |
Step 5: Eating at right place using right plates!
- Avoid having food while watching your favourite TV programs as people tend to eat more.
- Have food in smaller plates. One tends to eat more from larger ones as serving quantity is more.
- Perfect place is the dining table. Ideally, switch off your TV/phone and have food with family.
|6|| || |
Step 6: Eat upto 90% to avoid overeating.
- Listen to your body and stop eating when you feel about 90% full. Stop urges to overeat.
- Chew about 8 to 10 times as it helps in digestion and avoid over eating.
|7|| || |
Step 7: Eat whole fruits to control your weight and energetic feeling.
- Eat whole fruits rather than fruit juices as whole fruits have more nutrients than processed ones.
- The natural vitamins that come from whole fruit is lost when it is processed due to added flavours.
- Eating the skin of fruit along with its pulp is a good source of fiber & is a critical part of good diet.
- However, even if you wish to consume processed fruit, make sure that you do not add any flavor in it. By doing this the naturality of the fruit still remains to some extent even after it is processed.
|8|| || |
Step 8: Move around during day.
- Do not sit at one place for longer than 45 to 60 min. Walk/move around throughout the day.
- Take stairs instead of elevator frequently. If you stay in a high rise, climb up/down few floors.
- Try not to sit on the bed during day time as that may put you to sleep and induce lethargy.
- Avoid sleeping for longer duration in the afternoon. Have a quick 30 min nap.
|9|| || |
Step 9: Pranayam or Meditation does wonders!
- Pranayam: Start with 5 min and gradually increase duration to 15 min every day.
- Close your mouth, slowly inhale through your nose until your lungs are full and chest expands.
- Then exhale forcefully multiple times from both nostrils pushing the stomach in.
- Repeat the above steps for 15 minutes. Take 1 min rest after every 5 minutes.
- Do pranayam just before breakfast, lunch or dinner and not after having food.
- You may also try meditation to reduce your stress levels.
- Ensure that you get sound sleep of at least 7 hours every night.
|10|| || |
Step 10: Track Progress: Measure your waistline and weight monthly.
- On 1st of every month, track and record your waistline at naval point and weight to gauge progress.
- Capture the 2 readings early morning every month, not after lunch or dinner.
- Find a walk/workout partner. Both should ensure each other's daily exercise routine is followed.
- Read this list once a week to check whether you are following your daily routine or not.
- Don't get disheartened if your weight does not reduce in a few weeks. Visualize yourself in your desired body shape and keep working towards your goal. To check what your ideal weight should be(based on your height): Click here