At what age can one get a License?
1. Learner License (Minimum age requirement)-
- 16 years for two wheeler (without gear) vehicles only.
- 18 years for two wheeler and car vehicles.
- 20 years for commercial vehicles.
2. Permanent License- 18 years (and after 30 days from the date of issuing the Learner's License).
3. If you have a Learner's License at the age of 16, you can't apply for a permanent license till the age of 18.
Validity of License
What is the validity time period for a Driving License?
1. Learner Driving License: Valid upto 6 months.
2. Permanent Driving License: Valid upto a period of 20 yrs or an age of 50 yrs whichever is earlier.
3. However, on attaining the age of 50 years a Permanent License is renewed for 5 years at a time.
4. Commercial Driving License: Valid upto 3 yrs.
How do I get a Learner License?
1. Approach the nearest RTO & submit the following documents along with original for verification:
a. Application in Form 1 and Form 2.
b. Proof of Age- Copy of Birth Certificate or Passport or School/College certificate.
c. Proof of Residence- Copy of Ration Card or Election I.D. Card or Passport or Electric/Telephone Bill.
d. 4 passport size photographs.
e. Necessary processing fee.
f. Medical Certificate (required only for Commercial License).
2. On submission of above documents a receipt will be given to you.
3. You will be required to sit for a driver's test before the transport authority.
4. The learner test has 20 multiple objective type questions which is to be completed in 20 minutes.
5. 12 marks are compulsory to qualify.
6. On clearing the test, Learner's License is issued in 2-3 hrs on showing the receipt of processing fee.
7. If you do not clear the test you can apply for the license again and make another attempt.
8. Having obtained a Learner's License, the vehicle must display "L" sign both at the front and back.
How do I get a Permanent License?
1. Apply after 30 days & within 180 days from the date of issuance of Learner's License.
2. Submit the following documents along with the original for verification:
a. Application in Form 4.
b. A valid Learner's License.
c. Attested copy of proof of age and residence.
d. 2 recent passport size photograph.
e. Necessary processing fee must be paid against which a receipt will be given to you.
3. After scrutiny of documents, you'll need to pass a driving test for which you need to bring your own vehicle.
4. If you clear the test, you can collect the license from the transport office within 90 days of application.
5. If not, you can appear for the test again after 1 week.
How do I get a Commercial Driving License?
1. A commercial driving license is used to drive vehicles for commercial transport purposes in the country.
2. One has to be conversant with the traffic rules and regulations.
3. Submit the following documents along with original to the local transport office:
a. Application in Form 5, to be collected from the transport office.
b. Form 1 with self declaration of physical fitness.
c. A valid Learner's License.
d. Attested copy of proof of age and residence.
e. 3 recent passport size photographs.
f. Necessary processing fee.
4. Verification and scrutiny of the form and documents are done based on which the license is issued.
5. You can collect the license in person from the Regional Transport Office after 3-4 days.
New License Process
What is the process for obtaining a New Driver's License?
1. Approach the nearest Regional Transport Office or Zonal Office in your area.
2. Submit the application form, processing fee & the required documents in-person.
3. On payment of the processing fee a receipt is handed over to you.
4. Show this receipt to officials in the transport office against which the license will be issued.
Renewal of License
How can one renew a license? Is medical certificate required again?
1. Submit the following documents in the RTO for both for Private as well as Commercial licenses.
a. Application in Form 9.
b. 2 recent passport size photographs.
c. Driving License held.
d. Proof of age and residence.
e. Medical Form 1A (if age is more than 40 years).
f. Driver Refreshing Training certificate in case of HMV (required only for Commercial Driving License).
2. In case of Private License the record is not verified if the particulars seem to be clear on the license.
3. However for commercial license the particulars are verified from the issuing authority.
4. In case of Private License, the renewal is done on the same day.
5. For Commercial License the renewal is made after verification of the particulars.
6. A Private License can be renewed for a period of 5 years at a time after the age of 50 years.
7. An expired license is valid for 30 days after the date of expiry.
8. After 30 days and within 5 years of expiry of license a penalty has to be paid for renewal.
9. Failing to renew the license within the above mentioned period, leads to permanent cancellation.
10. Medical Certificate is required for renewal if:
a. You are above 40 years of age.
b. If you have commercial license.
c. Documents required for renewal of license are incomplete or inappropriate.
How do I obtain a Duplicate Driving License?
1. A duplicate license is required in case of loss, theft, or on mutilation of the license.
2. The loss or theft must be reported to a police station in the form of an FIR (First Information Report).
3. Submit the following documents along with the originals to the RTO:
a. FIR (First Information Report).
b. Application in LLD Form, Form 1 & Form 1A.
d. Attested copies of Identity Proof & Address Proof.
e. Necessary fee.
f. Challan clearance report from Traffic Police (in case of Commercial License).
4. On receipt of the documents, necessary verifications are done.
5. On successful verification, a duplicate license is issued within 15 days of submission of the application.
6. In case of a mismatch between the documents submitted & the facts revealed in verification, the entire procedure mentioned above is repeated again.
7. If the loss period is more than 6 months, permission from the Head Quarter of Transport Department is required for issuing a duplicate Driving License.
What is the processing fee for acquiring a License?
1. Processing fee for getting a License differs from state to state.
2. Pls contact your local Regional Transport Office for details.
What is the penalty if found driving without a license?
- Fine of Rs. 1000 to 2000 and/or 3 months imprisonment.
Under what circumstances can a license be suspended?
1. A Driving license can be suspended temporarily or permanently.
2. Each license has a numbering on the bottom left from 1-5.
3. In case of any mishappenings the license is punched by the traffic police.
4. In some cases it may also be taken to the court and then you need to redeem the license from the court.
5. However, if your license is punched 5 times, then it leads to permanent cancellation of your license.
6. The local authorities, the court or any other prescribed authority can suspend a person's license if:
a. One is habitual drunkard, criminal or drug addict.
b. Using a motor vehicle to commit a criminal offense.
c. Rash or dangerous driving that is potentially harmful.
d. When convicted of not reporting an accident.
e. Not providing medical assistance to the injured.
f. Not stopping the vehicle as required by the police.
g. Any act that may cause nuisance to the public, such as overloading, participating in strikes, and so on.
h. Drunken driving also results in suspension of license for six months.
International Driving License
How do I get an International Driving License?
1. Submit the following documents along with original to the regional transport office:
a. Application in Form 4A.
b. Current driving license valid atleast for another 1 year.
c. Attested copy of address proof & age proof.
d. Valid passport.
e. Valid Visa.
f. 2 passport size photographs.
g. Required fee.
2. On submission of the documents & fee, you will be given a receipt.
3. Show the receipt to the officials in the transport office at the time of collection of the license.
4. The license is issued within a day.